KAPITI INDOOR MARKET CHRISTMAS CHARITY
Each Kapiti Indoor Market we partner with a local charity to raise funds for their various causes. This December we are very pleased to announce that our main charity partner is the Menzshed Kapiti.
Here at Kapiti Indoor Market we love learning of new charities around the region and the Mezshed Kapiti is an amazing one. We have built a relationship with the Menzshed that we are proud of, we love supporting them and they help us a lot. They can regularly be seen helping us create our billboard hoardings and have no trouble deciphering our sketches and making exactly what we have asked to be created!
While women are not technically allowed at the Menzshed they always welcome us with open arms and love letting us dig through their sheds looking for treasures just waiting to be re-purposed!
SO WHAT IS THE MENZSHED KAPITI & WHAT DO THEY DO?
Located in Waikanae Beach the Menzshed operates Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9am to 1.30pm. It is a place where “men do what men do" and is a place that promotes the health & wellbeing of men in the Kapiti area. It is a place to socialise with like-minded men, to practice old skills, learn new ones, share know-how, pursue hobbies, enjoy company and give back to the community. It is also a great place for a cuppa and a chat!
The Menzshed Kapiti was established in 2010 in a small 40m2 shed & 25 members.
Since then the Shed has grown, with both members and workshop space increasing they are now bursting at the seams! The workshop space is now about 250m2 but still too small for the 35 to 50 members who regularly come to the Shed.
After working thru a Resource Consent, the Menzshed is applying for a Building Consent to build an additional 100m2 of new workshop space, and 130m2 of new toilet, kitchen, meeting and office facilities.
Last year alone over 10,000 man hours of voluntary time was contributed to mostly working on community projects large and small. These included but not limited to:
· Making and repairing things for groups and the public
· Sharpening tool and assisting many community groups
· Making woodwork tables and toolkits for local schools
· Tree-mounted kaka nests, pest traps, penguin nests boxes and weta motels for DOC
· WWII Army huts rebuilt for QEII Park’s US Marine Memorial
· Assembling, sorting & packing 5000 ANZAC crosses for our soldiers from WWI
In addition to all of the building tasks the shed completes there are members who are keen to garden. The garden group is very active in landscaping the site with retaining walls and raised garden beds with the fresh food produced being supplied to the local Kapiti food bank
They also have a small music group who will be looking forward to our new meeting facilities for their weekly jam sessions.
Menzshed members are generally made up of men who:
· are retired or only work part time and have spare time on their hands
· want to mix with a new bunch of guys, having lost touch with work mates
· like a laugh, sharing experiences and talking about old times
· want the opportunity to be involved in community projects
· want to complete projects from home using shared tools and others expertise
· enjoy the occasions of working with new mates
We love this charity, so please come along and join us on 15th December at the Kapiti Indoor Market where your gold coin donation will be going to this amazing charity and help them raise funds for the extra space they need!
For More information on the Menzshed Kapiti please contact: